Here we go again

Two Years have past since my Lad came back from Afghanistan. He as now gone back for another six months tour. I will be posting here again!
'Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.' Read, Listen. (Psalm 144:1)

> Local lads prepare for dangerous role...

Local lads prepare for dangerous role in war-ravaged Afghanistan

As the British Army prepares to bolster the peace-keeping force in southern Afghanistan, reporter Mike Chipchase meets some of the 500 young men from the region who are heading to one of the most dangerous places in the world.

On Wednesday, two British soldiers were killed in an explosion in Helmand Province, in southern Afghan-istan.

The deaths of Private Damian Wright, 23, from Mansfield, and Private Ben Ford, 18, from Chesterfield, brought the total number of British troops to have lost their lives in the war-ravaged country to 76 in the past six years.


It is a stark reminder of the perils facing the 540 soldiers of 2nd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment, who are heading to Helmand for a six-month tour of duty.

From next week, the regiment will form part of 52 Infantry Brigade, which is to relieve the Grenadier Guards, in Operation Herrick.

The battalion, formerly known as The Green Howards, has traditionally recruited young men from the North-East and North Yorkshire. And 80 per cent of those leaving for Afghanistan over the next few weeks are from this region.

Lieutenant Colonel Simon Downey, commanding officer of the battalion known as 2 Yorks, said: "It is a challenging area.

"The test is to train and mentor the Afghan national army in Helmand Province. We will be living alongside our counterparts and deploying with them to allow the democratic government of Afghanistan to do its job.

"While I would not want to be complacent or underestimate the challenge that lies ahead, we are well trained and ready to take forward what is a key part of the international community's remit.

"Like any battalion, we have got people who have served for a number of tours and we have others for whom this will be their first deployment."

The battalion returned from a tour of duty in Bosnia towards the end of last year, but this is undoubtedly its most dangerous mission in recent years.

The six-month deployment will mean the vast majority of 2 Yorks will be away from their loved ones and friends over Christmas.

Lt Col Downey said: "Tours always bring particular challenges, and Christmas is one.

"We will enjoy Christmas in southern Afghanistan and we will ensure that he families who are left at home will be given the support to enjoy their Christmas at home."

Home for the battalion is now Weeton Barracks, near Kirkham, Lancashire. They moved into their new base in July from their previous barracks in Chepstow.

Kate Steventon, 42, is one of the many wives who will be waiting anxiously for their men to return safe and sound.

Mrs Steventon, whose husband Major Marc Steventon is a quartermaster, said: "We will be worrying. There is apprehension, like with any other tour - the concern is where it is and the current situation over there. It doesn't lend itself to a safe environment for the soldiers."

She added: "There is a bond between the families that are left behind - it brings the community together.

"But Christmas is a tough time for the kids, and it's important that they keep communication lines open with their parents overseas.

PRIVATE ALAN ATKINSON

PRIVATE Alan Atkinson, 26, from Scarborough, joined the army as a boy soldier straight from school.

His past tours have involved working in Northern Ireland, Kosovo and Bosnia.

He said: "Northern Ireland was quite an eye opener for me. I went there a boy and came back somewhat more of a man."

As an experienced soldier, he is fully aware of what lies ahead.

He said: "This trip is going to be hard graft.

"You think when you join the army 'am I going to see a war?' - and this will be the first time that I have been in a war situation.

"I'm not saying I'm going to be scared; you've got to think positive and look to your training and skills. You can't switch off for one minute."

Pte Atkinson said it will be difficult adapting to the conditions in Afghanistan.

"I will miss normal life," he said, "because it won't be like normal life out there. We will be living in sand and dirt, but you've just got to crack on with it.

"It's a job and we've got to get it done - nobody else is going to do it."

One of the things he said he was looking forward to was getting back into shape.

He said: "We've had quite a bit of a lull since Bosnia, so the lads are looking forward to getting back into the gym, getting fit and getting into the swing of things again."

PRIVATE TIM GARGAN

HAVING served in Iraq with the 4th Battalion, Private Tim Gargan is no stranger to the harsh world of deployment to a war-torn area.

The 23-year-old, from Scarborough, has been with 2nd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment for a year, and says he is looking forward to his first tour of duty in Afghanistan.

He said: "It's what I joined the Army for. I always wanted to be a soldier from being a young lad.

"I want to see all these different places and work with different nationalities, and I think what we are going to do is a worthwhile job."

Although Pte Gargan has no qualms about heading into an extremely dangerous area, his mother, father and sister have other thoughts.

He said: "My mum and dad are obviously worried, but they are happy when I'm happy, and I am very happy in my job."

The driver and medic says he is hoping for the same reaction from the Afghan people as he received in Iraq.

He said: "The majority of people we came across in Iraq were pleased to see us. Some of them used to come up and say 'thank you' to us for being there, although some were not so happy. That's just the way it goes.

"I hope they will be able to see the good that we are doing."

He said he would miss playing rugby for Scarborough Thirds and walking his two Border collies while away on deployment.

PRIVATE JOHN WALKER

AT 32, and with ten years' service under his belt, Private John Walker is one of 2 Yorks' more experienced soldiers.

The veteran of tours in Kosovo, Northern Ireland and Bosnia is cautious about what he and his comrades are likely to come face-to-face with in the infamous Taliban stronghold of Helmand Province.

The former sports retail worker, from Linthorpe, Middlesbrough, said: "I was a relatively late starter in the Army, but I have been on three tours now.

"I'm happy I am going to Afghanistan, but it is worrying what could happen out there. It's going to be a dangerous tour."

Despite the obvious dangers, Pte Walker is confident in his own and his colleagues' ability to handle the situation.

He said: "You rely on your training kicking in and the lads around you.

"The lads that I am going to be with are from a different battalion, so I will have to get to know them quickly."

Apart from not seeing his two young children for the best part of six months, Pte Walker said he will miss his beloved Middlesbrough football team.

He said: "I'm a season ticket holder at the Riverside and travel back for home games when I'm not on duty.

"I was one of the few that were there last week," he laughed.

He also admitted it will be hard to be away from home at Christmas.

"It's going to be tough over there at Christmas, missing the kids and the rest of the family. But no matter where we are, we always do a good job."

PRIVATE TOM FOSTER

ONE of the battalion's newest and youngest members is Private Thomas Foster.

The 19-year-old, from Whitby, North Yorkshire, has been in the Army for just under a year, and admits he feels a certain amount of trepidation ahead of his first tour of duty.

Pte Foster said: "I thought initially when I came to the battalion that I would see a bit of the world, but two weeks in, I found out I would be going to Afghanistan.

"To be honest, I'm a bit scared, but we've been well trained and I can't wait to get amongst it.

"I'm looking forward to being with the Afghan soldiers. It will be good to see how they live in the heat and the different conditions and to see how their army compares to ours.

"My job is with a team which will provide cover and fire support for the other teams. We will be covering their backs in case anything goes wrong and keeping them up to date with what is happening around them."

The former pupil at St Joseph's School, in Loftus, and Sacred Heart School, in Redcar, is a keen footballer and cricketer, who plays regularly as an all-rounder for Staithes Cricket Club.

He added: "I sat down with my family the other day and they said they are always here for me, no matter what. But they are going to be scared and worried.

"The main thing I will miss about home is lager - and my family and friends, of course."

RIFLEMAN GARY McCABE

RIFLEMAN Gary McCabe, 20, from Billingham, Teesside, admitted to having mixed feelings about being sent to keep the peace in southern Afghanistan.

The former Billingham Campus School pupil is another who joined the ranks straight after leaving school four years ago.

He said: "I made up my mind that I wanted to join up while in school. I'm looking forward to this tour and I'm not. I'm looking forward to going to a different place, but I'm not looking forward to what could happen.

"The hardest thing is how high it could kick off and that somebody close to me could actually get killed."

Pte McCabe said those fears were shared by his family back in Billingham.

He said: "I think that, deep down, they don't want me to go, but they are behind me all the way."