Here we go again

Two Years have past since my Lad came back from Afghanistan. He as now gone back for another six months tour. I will be posting here again!
'Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.' Read, Listen. (Psalm 144:1)

Letters to the Daily Telegraph | Dt Letters | Opinion | Telegraph

Letters to the Daily Telegraph | Dt Letters | Opinion | Telegraph

Serving in Afghanistan

Sir - My son is serving in Afghanistan with the Royal Anglians, and he phoned me upon returning from what an Army spokesman described as "the most challenging infantry operation since the Falklands". Although he was elated, at the same time he was shattered from having to carry 80lb of kit through firefights and ambushes in scorching temperatures. In the previous 48 hours, he had managed to get four hours of sleep.

Yet all he could talk about was food. He asked me to send halva (chocolates are pretty well useless in Afghan summers), nuts and any other high-energy food. Needless to say, a large parcel is on its way. Considering how important blood sugar is to maintaining alertness, I will be sending a lot more parcels. I want my son to come back alive.

Having served in the Territorials myself for nine years, I am only too aware of the niggardly attitude of Ministry of Defence civil servants who have salaries and pensions that mere squaddies cannot even dream about. But at least we got enough to eat, even in the field. My son has spent most of his meagre pay replacing the inadequate kit he was issued. He has asked for US dollars so he is not dependent on relief parcels. My son loves the Army, but the meanness of the current administration defies belief.